This is the cover of Death Rush:
Poppers & AIDS,
a 64-page book published by Pagan Press in 1986. Its purpose was to
warn gay men about the dangers of the nitrite inhalants or alkyl
nitrites (amyl nitrite, butyl nitrite, isobutyl nitrite, et al.).
Rush: Poppers & AIDS
has been out-of-print for many hears now, the medical information is
still valid. the toxicities of these drugs have not changed.The nitrite
inhalants are still powerfully mutagenic; they still cause anemia; they
are still immunosuppressive.
To read Death
Rush click here.
Death Rush has been translated into Italian by Roberto De Angelis. To read this PDF book — DEATH RUSH: I poppers [nitriti inalanti] e l'AIDS — click here.
Here are some online articles on poppers.
• Robert Payne, the editor of Drummer
(an S&M magazine “for the macho male”)
Rush very favorably in issue 98 (late 1986). To read his
review in HTML form click here.
To see facsimile reproductions of the Drummer
review and cover click
• John Lauritsen: NIDA Meeting Calls for Research into the
Poppers-Kaposi's Sarcoma Connection. Click
• Ian Young: The Poppers Story: The Rise and Fall and Rise of
“The Gay Drug”. Click
• John Lauritsen: Queer Advertising: From Poppers to Protease
• Arthur Evans: An article from 1981! POPPERS: an ugly side of gay business. Click here.
Back to AIDS
Lauritsen's home page.